Atmos Energy Advises: Take Steps Now to Reduce Heating Bills
DALLAS (October 16, 2013) Atmos Energy Corporation said today that residential customers can take steps now to save money on their heating bills come winter.
"A little planning goes a long way when it comes to reducing winter heating bills," said John Paris, president of Atmos Energy's Mid-Tex Division.
"We believe our customers will see affordable prices again this winter thanks to the abundance of natural gas, but there are even more ways to save."
"Using energy wisely and making a few household changes can create substantial savings for customers," said Paris.
To learn more, visit: www.atmosenergy.com or follow the energy-saving tips below:
Energy Saving Tips:
- Change or clean furnace filters today and then once again each month during the heating season. Furnaces consume less energy if they "breathe" more easily.
- Set your water heater's temperature at 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Lowering the water heater's setting could cut your water-heating costs by 20 percent.
- During the winter, set your thermostat to 70 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and 58 degrees when away from home for more than a few hours.
- Close vents and doors in unused rooms and close cabinet and closet doors on outside walls, which can leak a great deal of air.
Energy Management Tools:
To help customers manage their utility bills, Atmos Energy offers several features on its website at www.atmosenergy.com.
- Energy Profile offers a personalized energy-use report and savings advice.
- Energy Calculator estimates how much it costs to operate home appliances.
- Energy Library provides detailed information about many energy topics.
- Energy Advisor answers energy questions [from an Atmos Energy expert.
- Energy Comparison Tool lets you compare annual energy use and costs.
- Energy Savings Tips shows a number of easy ways to save energy at home.
If you are having trouble paying your utility bill, please visit our website to learn more about energy assistance programs.
Low-income customers are eligible for federal energy assistance through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP),
which helps pay energy bills and weatherize homes.
About Atmos Energy
Atmos Energy Corporation, headquartered in Dallas, is one of the country's largest natural-gas-only distributors,
serving about 3 million natural gas distribution customers in over 1,400 communities in eight states from the Blue Ridge Mountains in the East to the Rocky Mountains in the West.
Atmos Energy also manages company-owned natural gas transmission pipeline systems and provides natural gas marketing and procurement services to industrial, commercial and municipal customers primarily in the Midwest and Southeast.
For more information, visit www.atmosenergy.com.
Atmos Energy can also be accessed through social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.