Beware of Utility Scams
Nationwide utility scams are on the rise, and we recommend customers take the following steps to protect themselves from fraud. If you suspect you are a victim of a scam, then please contact our customer contact center at 888-286-6700 Monday - Friday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. (central).
- Always ask for an employee’s identification badge, which displays name, photograph, and Atmos Energy logo.
- If you suspect an impostor, call our customer service number at 888-286-6700 immediately to verify the employee's identify and contact local authorities.
- Beware of impostors demanding payment at your door. Our employees will not collect cash payments in person (except in Kansas).
- Beware of bogus emails requesting immediate payment of your bill, particularly with prepaid debit cards.
- Verify that your account number listed is correct.
- Do not click on any links in the suspicious email as many contain viruses.
- Verify your account balance through our online Account Center.
- Telephone scams are also on the rise, where people pose as utility employees and demand immediate payment of past due balances.
- If you ever have concerns about the legitimacy of a call, please hang up and call our customer service number at 888-286-6700.
For more information, visit the Federal Trade Commission.